Waxing Before & Aftercare – All you need to know!
Waxing leaves your skins soft, smooth and hair free (Read more: Benefits of Waxing over Shaving). But do you know how to make your wax last and make it a more comfortable experience?
We have complied a list of waxing before and aftercare tips on how to prepare the waxing area for a more seamless experience, how to care for the area after waxing and how to prevent ingrown hairs.
It is just as important to take care of and prepare your skin before a wax, follow these few tips to ensure for the best results and as little pain as possible.
- Exfoliate the area 24-48 hours prior to the appointment. This will help keep the skin soft and smoother and prevent ingrown hairs in the long run.
- Bath or shower on the day of the appointment. This will help to open hair follicles which allows for easier hair removal.
- Do not apply any deodorants, make-up, lotions, soaps, powders, perfumes, or self-tanning products to the area on the day of the appointment.
After your waxing treatment you can expect the area to be red, some people may experience blood spots due to thicker, courser hair and the area may feel tender and tingle, this is completely normal. However, these symptoms should subside over the next 24-48 hours. If you experience persistent redness or irritation, or if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact your beauty therapist or salon.
For the first 24 hours after a waxing treatment, one should avoid the following to prevent irritating the skin:
- Exfoliating the treated area.
- Scratching or touching the area.
- The use of sauna’s & steam rooms.
- Exercise, gyms, or swimming.
- The application of products to the area, such as deodorants, make-up, lotions, soap, self-tanning products etc.
- Avoid tightly fitting clothing that may cause friction.
- No hot showers – cold or lukewarm water only.
- Avoid sunbathing, sunbeds or any sunlight and UV exposure.
To soothe and calm the area we recommend using professional waxing aftercare products, which will rehydrate the skin and soothe any discomfort. KMK Salon Supplies offers an extension range of pre & after wax care and cleanser products, click here to find the right product for you!
Remember, it is important to keep the area clean and dry for 48 hours after your appointment. In addition, it is essential to gently exfoliate the area 3-10 days after your treatment to ensure you prevent ingrown hairs. Gently exfoliate 2-3 times a week with a body scrub, it is essential that you perform this routine between days 3-10 after your wax service. Remember to not over exfoliate as this can cause damage to the skin. Follow the exfoliation with an enriching and nourishing moisturizer. This process will prevent any ingrown hairs and ensure your next wax is easier and a little less painful.
If you’re interest in finding out more about Waxing or any other beauty treatments, check out our range of courses here. Or if you’re already a qualified waxing therapist check out our top quality range of waxing materials